DUI Checkpoint resulted in 1GTA arrest and a
Fontana, CA – Fontana Police Department Traffic Unit arrested one individual while conducting a DUI/Drivers License checkpoint on Saturday, November 17, 2018. The checkpoint was in place on Jurupa, at Hemlock, between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m., resulting in the following:
1 – Individual arrested for GTA, and 1 recovered stolen vehicle
16 - Drivers cited for operating a vehicle unlicensed or while suspended/revoked
3 – Additional citations issued
Checkpoints are placed in locations that have the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence and provide the greatest safety for officers and the public.
In recent years, California has seen a disturbing increase in drug-impaired driving crashes. Fontana PD supports the new effort from the Office of Traffic Safety that aims to educate all drivers that “DUI Doesn’t Just Mean Booze.” If you take prescription drugs, particularly those with a driving or operating machinery warning on the label, you might be impaired enough to get a DUI. Marijuana can also be impairing, especially in combination with alcohol or other drugs, and can result in a DUI.
Studies of California drivers have shown that 30 percent of drivers in fatal crashes had one or more drugs in their systems. A study of active drivers showed more tested positive for drugs that may impair driving (14 percent) than did for alcohol (7.3 percent). Of the drugs, marijuana was most prevalent, at 7.4 percent, slightly more than alcohol.
Fontana PD offers these reminders to ensure a fun night doesn’t get spoiled with a DUI:
- Decide before you go out whether you plan to drink or drive. You can’t do both.
- If you plan to drink, designate a sober driver before going out, or map out another way to get home safely by taking a cab, ride-share service like Uber or Lyft, or using public transportation. You can also look up designated driver services in your area using the National Directory of Designated Driver Services (NDDDS).
- If you are DD, bars and restaurants statewide have created non-alcoholic specialty drinks (“DDrinks”) for sober drivers: http://bit.ly/OTSDDrinks
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, call 911. Offer a description of the vehicle, location and direction of travel
- See your friend or other patron impaired trying to get behind the wheel? Take the keys or help them make other arrangements to get where they are going safely.
Drivers caught driving impaired and charged with DUI can expect the impact of a DUI arrest to be approximately $13,500. This includes fines, fees, DUI classes, license suspension and other expenses not to mention possible jail time.
Fontana PD will be conducting additional DUI/Drivers License Checkpoints and DUI Saturation Patrols throughout the remainder of the summer in our ongoing commitment to take suspected impaired drivers off our streets and highways, ultimately lowering the risk for deaths and injuries.
The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Whether by bike, car, motorcycle or walking, Fontana PD encourages everyone to be a part of the solution and ‘Go Safely California.’