2021-2029 Housing Element
The City of Fontana is in the process of updating the 2021-2029 Housing Element.
What is a Housing Element?
The Housing Element is a state mandated and city-initiated policy document included in the City of Fontana General Plan. The Housing Element identifies policies and programs to meet existing and projected future housing needs for all economic segments in the City of Fontana. The 2021-2029 Housing Element identifies specific actions to be taken over the planning period to address local housing needs.
Key Features of the Housing Element:
- Population and housing profile of Fontana
- Evaluation of housing constraints and resources
- Evaluation of existing housing programs and policies
- Identification of sites appropriate to accommodate housing at all income levels
- Development of policies, programs & quantified objectives
The City’s current Housing Element (5th Cycle) was adopted by the City Council in February 2014 and certified by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The adopted Housing Element covers the planning period from October 2013, through October 2021. The City is currently implementing the respective actions and programs for the current planning cycle.
To comply with State law, the City’s Housing Element must be updated to ensure Fontana’s policies and programs can accommodate estimated housing growth need identified in Southern California Association of Government’s Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA) allocation for the 2021-2029 planning period. The 6th Cycle Housing Element requires review by the California State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) for compliance with state law. The updated Housing Element must be adopted by the City Council on or before October 2021 to comply with state law.
Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA)
What is the Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA)?
The RHNA process is mandated by state law and quantifies projected housing growth needs for the Fontana and the region. HCD and SCAG determine regional housing need projections for 2021-2029 planning period. With input from the jurisdictions, SCAG establishes a methodology that allocates growth need for each city in the region.
For the 2021-2029 Planning Period, The City of Fontana is allocated 17,477 units to accommodate the City’s growth project growth need. The growth need is distributed by various income categories.. The Housing Element must provide adequate sites to accommodate this estimated growth
2021 - 2029 City of Fontana RHNA Housing Needs Allocation
Income range is based on the 2020 HUD Median Family Income (MFI) for a family of four for San Bernardino County of $75,300.
Why is the City Updating the Housing Element?
The State of California requires that each jurisdiction update their Housing Element every 8 years to address future housing needs. The current adopted Housing Element covers the 2013-2021 planning period. The City is now planning for the 2021-2029 planning period.
Importance of updating the Housing Element:
- Ensures the Fontana complies with State housing laws
- Allows Fontana to become eligible for State grants and funding sources
- Demonstrates Fontana’s ability to meet future housing growth need
- Allows Fontana residents to further engage in the planning process
What is Included in the Update Process?
The update is a community-based process that includes various participation opportunities for the Fontana community. Key features include:
- Opportunities to provide input virtually and in-person
- Comprehensive review of community demographics
- Identification of adequate sites analysis to accommodate future growth need
- Public Hearings before the Planning Commission and City Council
How Can You Participate in the Update Process?
There are numerous ways to participate throughout the planning process. The City will provide a virtual presentation and online Community Survey on the City’s website for residents to provide comments, preferences, and additional feedback. In Spring of 2021, another Workshop will to provide the public with additional opportunities to provide input prior to the completion of the Housing Element update.
Anticipated Project Schedule:
- Virtual Presentation – Fall 2020
- Community Survey – Fall/Winter 2020
- Planning Commission and City Council Study Sessions – Summer 2020/Spring 2020
- Public Review Draft – Spring/Summer 2021
- Community Workshop –Spring/Summer 2021
- Public Hearings – Fall 2021
For information, contact:
DiTanyon Johnson, Senior Planner - City of Fontana; email or at (909) 350-6678.