CA COVID-19 Rent Relief and Other Financial Assistance
CA COVID-19 Rent Relief will help income-eligible households pay rent and utilities, both for arrears and future payment. The federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 provides funding to support the program and tenant protection laws signed by Governor Newsom. New applications are no longer being accepted by the State of California for this program as of April 1, 2022.
Anyone who submitted an application prior to March 31, 2022, can check their application status by clicking on the images below.
Other financial help is available through the State of California for those affected by COVID-19. Please visit their site for more information.
The CA COVID-19 Rent Relief call center is available by calling 1-833-430-2122 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. daily.
Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program (EMA)
The Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program provides one-time grants to individuals and families that own and occupy a residential property in Fontana as their primary residence who have lost income because of COVID-19 and who are at risk of default on their mortgage payments. The maximum amount of assistance is up to $20,000 (total) or for up to six (6) consecutive months of mortgage and utilities, based on actual need.
Funds are limited and applications will be reviewed and awarded on a First-Come, First Served basis.
The grant payments are paid directly to the mortgage company. In order for the payments to be processed once an application has been approved, a W-9 will need to be completed by the mortgage company and submitted to the Housing Department by mail, in-person drop off at a City Hall payment box, or email the Housing Department.
- Download, print, complete and sign the Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program Application. Applications are available in English or Spanish are available.
- Submit the completed application along with all required documents listed on page 10 to the City of Fontana Housing Department. This can be done by email, mail or dropping your documents off at City Hall.
- We will verify that your property is within the City boundaries and that you own that property.
- All participants must live in their home at the time of the application.
- Households that have already received assistance/payments are not eligible for the program or additional funds. You may be able to apply through the State's Mortgage Relief Program.
- Only one (1) request per household or property will be able to move forward in the application process.
- Total gross annual family income (adjusted for family size) cannot exceed the limits listed in the table below.
- Includes all income from all persons over the age of 18 whether they contribute to the household or not.
- Financial documents are required to qualify and are listed in the application.
- The City reserves the right to request additional documentation from applicants as necessary to determine eligibility.
- Applicants will have 14 days to provide necessary documents from the request or will be terminated from the program due to non-response.
2022 Income Limits by Household Size