In order to replace an existing water heater a permit must be obtained. This can be done in person or online.
Permits can be requested via the City's eTRAKiT portal.
Determine who is applying for the permit:
- Homeowner - Log in using an existing account or Setup an Account
- Contractor - Log in using an existing account or contact Building and Safety to set up an account.
Permit Type Information
After logging into the account, select "Apply for a New Permit."
- Select "Water Heater" as the Permit Type
- Select the Permit SubType:
- S-FAM Residential - typical for a single family home.
- M-FAM Residential - typical for a multi-unit location such as a duplex, or apartment.
- Short Description: Enter a description of the work to be completed.
- No. of Water Heaters: Enter the number of water heaters to be replaced.
- Type of Heater: Select the type of heater you are installing.
- How Many Gallons: Enter the water heater capacity.
- Location of Heater: The area the heater will be installed. Example: garage.
- Energy Form Attached: Attach two CFR1 forms (see attachments below) with the application. Indicate yes/no if the form is attached. If the forms are not attached, the permit will be delayed and staff will reach out requesting the forms.
- Added Info or Comments: Additional information you would like to communicate.
- Paying Online: If you plan on paying online select yes; note a convenience fee will apply. Select No if visiting our office to make a payment.
- Online Approval:
- Yes - Approval is given to process the permit in place of a wet signature.
- No - Applicant will visit the office to sign permit.
Location - Enter the street number and street name but do not use abbreviations like ave., st., blvd. Example: 8353 Sierra
- Click Search
- Select the address point that matches the address.
Your Relation to this Permit
Check the appropriate box in relation to the permit:
- Property Owner - If you own the property.
- Contractor - If you were hired by the property owner to perform the job.
Note: Permits are only available to the registered homeowner or a licensed contractor.
Attach the following:
After submitting the application, it will be reviewed for completion. If the application is missing information, a staff person will reach out to request additional information.
Once approved an email with instructions for payment will be sent.
Note: Online payment available if elected.
After paying the permit, it will be emailed if electronic signature was elected; otherwise the permit will be issued by coming to Building and Safety.
Upon completion of work, schedule an inspection online via eTRAKiT or contact Building and Safety at (909) 350-7640. You must provide the inspector with a completed CFR2 form at the time of inspection.
Building and Safety
8353 Sierra Avenue
Fontana, CA 92335
Phone: (909) 350-7640 Fax: (909) 350-7676
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Closed Every Friday