Electronic Disposal Checklist
Prior to disposing of your electronics such as computers and mobile devices, the City of Fontana recommends the following:
Transfer software to your new computer
- Identify software on your existing computer you want to use on your new computer.
- Take down license key information.
- Un-register software from existing computer.
- Locate install files and back them up. Some software vendors have install files available online.
- Note: The steps you need to take to secure information for purchased software vary. Contact the software vendor for additional information.
Back up your files
- Subscribe to home cloud storage solutions like Google Drive, Dropbox or Apple iCloud. These services offer free options but you will have to pay for higher storage options and advanced features. Additional information on home cloud storage solutions.
- Backup your data to an external hard drive. Additional Information available.
- Save your data to a flash drive (I.e. USB drive, Jump drive, Thumb drive). Additional Information.
Erase all data from your computer
Remove all devices and media attached
- Check CD-ROM drives, remove USB receivers and disconnect all cables.
Back up your phone
- iPhone, tap Settings, then iCloud, and then choose Storage & Backup. Makesure you enable the iCloud Backup feature, then select Back Up Now to move yourdata to the cloud.
- Android - Various ways listed below:
- Google Sync backs up most of your data for you. Go to Settings menu and select Accounts and Sync.
- Use a USB cable to connect your Android phone to a computer, and then copy allyour files.
- Newer versions of Android phones back up everything without any action.
Remove SIM or SD Cards
- Remove your SIM card from iPhone.
- Un-mount and remove SD card.
- Check your manual or ask your wireless provider for assistance in removing your SIM or SD card.
- Once removed, keep in a secure location.
Factory reset your phone
- iPhone - Go to the Settings menu, tap General, select Reset, then Erase All Content. Full checklist from Apple on steps to remove your personal information from a device.
- Android phones and versions vary. View information about resetting your Android.