Photovoltaic (Solar) Systems
In response to the State's mandate to promote and encourage the installation of solar energy systems, the Building and Safety Division has provided the following items to assist in expediting our plan check and permitting process.
Please use one of the following Photovoltaic (PV) packets based on the type of system you will be installing:
Walk through the online permit process with Permit Technician Stacy Gonzalez in the tutorial video below.
Permits can be requested via the City's eTRAKiT portal.
Determine who is applying for the permit:
- Homeowner - Log in using an existing account or Setup an Account
- Contractor - Log in using an existing account or contact Building and Safety to set up an account.
Permit Type Information
After logging into the account, select "Apply for a New Permit."
- Select: "Solar Photovoltaic as the Permit Type.
- Select the Permit Sub Type:
- Select "S-FAM Residential" - typical for a single family home.
- Short Description: Enter a description of the work to be completed.
- Job Value: Enter the value of the job to be completed.
- No. of Modules: Enter the number of Modules the new system will have.
- No. of Inverters: Enter the number of inverters the new system will have.
- How many KW (kilowatts): Enter the number of kilowatts the new system will produce.
- Type of Inverter: Select the type of inverter that the system will use.
- Central Line
- Include a Panel Upgrade? Select Yes if the property will include a panel upgrade, otherwise select No.
- If yes, No. of Amps: If you answered Yes to the item above fill in the number of amps the current system produces, otherwise select No.
- Other Notes: Additional information you would like to communicate.
- Paying Online: If you plan on paying online select Yes; note a convenience fee will apply. Select No if visiting our office to make a payment.
Location - Enter the street number and street name but do not use abbreviations like ave., st., blvd. Example: 8353 Sierra
- Click Search
- Select the address point that matches the address.
Your Relation to this Permit
Check the appropriate box in relation to the permit:
- Property Owner - If you own the property.
- Contractor - If you were hired by the property owner to perform the job.
Note: Permits are only available to the registered homeowner or a licensed contractor.
Attach the following:
- Structural Calculations
After submitting the application, it will be reviewed for completion. If the application is missing information, a staff person will reach out to request additional information.
Ready for Payment
When the application is determined to be complete, an email with instructions for payment will be sent.
Note: Online payment available if elected.
Upon payment, your plan check will be reviewed to determine compliance with related code requirements.
In order to obtain a permit in person bring the following documents to Building and Safety:
- Structural Calculations
All commercial and industrial systems are required to be submitted for plan review. Plans will be forwarded to the following divisions:
- Building and Safety
Building and Safety
8353 Sierra Avenue
Fontana, CA 92335
Phone: (909) 350-7640 Fax: (909) 350-7676
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Every Friday