- Business License Information
- Business Listing
- Passport Services
- Passport Issuance Alert
- Emergency Passport Information
- Yard Sales
- Other Information
Business License Information
The Fontana Municipal Code requires all businesses operating (not necessarily located) within the City to be properly licensed as well as in accordance with the standards for Planning (zoning), Building and Safety, and Public Health.
The following fees/taxes must be paid at the time the application is submitted:
- Initial Application Fee $35 ($15 renewal fee annually thereafter)
- Annual Business Tax (based on estimated annual gross receipts, with some exceptions)
The above fees apply to the majority of business types located in Fontana. However, there are certain types of businesses (i.e., used car dealers, restaurants, liquor stores) that require supplementary permits and the submission of additional documents, information and/or applications.
Application and Approval Process
- All completed Business License / Tax Certificate applications are submitted to the Business Services Division along with the appropriate fees and/or taxes.
- Upon review, the application is forwarded to the following departments for review:
- Planning Division for zoning compliance
- Building and Safety Division or an on-site inspection of the building and determination of conformance with the building regulations of the City
- Public Health
- Police Department (only applicable for certain types of business)
- If further action is required by any of the above departments, you will need to immediately respond to any and all such matters identified by the above-named departments.
- Upon receipt of the Building Division approval, the application is then forwarded to the Business License Division for final processing.
The process outlined above applies to most businesses physically located in the City. There are, however, certain types of businesses that may require additional inspections and/or investigation.
Depending upon the type of business that is to be conducted and assuming complete compliance with all codes, the entire business license approval process should be completed within two to three weeks.
Forms and Publications
If there are any questions regarding this process, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
The City of Fontana is a business-friendly community. Information acquired through this business license search feature is intended as a public service and contains public information only. The City does not endorse or vouch for the accuracy of the information contained in this database as the information is "self-reported" by individual businesses.
Locate a business by:
- Address - Find a business by looking up all or part of its address.
- Name - Find a business by looking up all or part of its name.
- Type - Find a business by the type of work it does.
If you have any questions on Business Licenses, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
The City of Fontana now offers passport services Monday through Thursday at City Hall from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Routine passport service takes five to six weeks, and expedited passport service takes two to three weeks.
Note: Everyone must apply in person, including infants.
When a Passport is Required
A U.S citizen needs a passport to depart or enter the United States and to enter and depart most foreign countries. Make certain that you take with you adequate documentation to pass through U.S Immigration upon your return.
|Passport Book||Good for travel by air, land, and sea|
|Passport Card||Good for travel by land, and sea|
How To Apply / Renew A Passport
1. Provide documents to prove citizenship which include:
2. One passport-sized photograph.
- Photographed in color
- 2x2 inches in size
- Taken within the past six months, showing current appearance
- Full-face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between one inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- No uniforms except religious attire that is worn daily
- Do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline
- No glasses unless in rare circumstances of medical necessity in which a signed statement from a medical professional (such as a Surgeon or Ophthalmologist) is required
Click to view the federal guidelines for photo requirements.
3. Passport Fees (only check and money order is accepted)
|New Application||Passport Book|
|Renewal||$110, by mail only|
|Expedite Fee||$60, passport returned to you in 2 to 3 weeks|
|Express Mail Fee||$15.89, passport is mailed to you overnight once completed and includes tracking mechanism|
Special Requirements for Minors
The most efficient way for a minor under the age of 16 to apply for a U.S passport is to present the required documentation and for both parents to appear at the time of application. If only one parent can apply, then the applying parent / guardian must have the additional documentation required for a single-signature application at the time of application. Incomplete submissions will delay passport issuance.
Click on the following links for special requirements for
To contact the City Passport Office, please call (909) 350-7635 or email Passport Services.
U.S Passport Name-Check System
Separate from the two-parent signature requirement for U.S passport issuance, parents may also request that their children's names be entered in the U.S passport name-check system.
The Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP) provides:
- Notification to parents of passport applications made on behalf of their minor children, and
- Denial of passport issuance if appropriate court orders are on file with the CPIAP.
Contact the Office of Children's Issues toll free at (888) 407-4747 or call (202) 501-4444.
Traveling Within Two Weeks
Travelers departing within two weeks must call for an appointment to be served at the Los Angeles Passport Agency. Only those with an appointment will be admitted to the agency.
The appointment system can be accessed 24 hours a day by calling (310) 575-5700.
After a brief recording, you will be prompted to push a number button and listen to easy to follow instructions for making an appointment. Instructions are in both English and Spanish. Customers who apply at the Los Angeles Passport Agency must present proof of imminent travel.
Traveling In More Than Two Weeks
Those leaving for travel in more than two weeks must apply for passports through their local passport acceptance facility. View a listing of acceptance facilities.
You may also check the blue pages of your telephone directory under Passports or contact your local postal facility for referral to the nearest postal passport acceptance facility. In outlying counties, contact your post office, clerk of court, city clerk, or library.
National Passport Information Center
You can also contact the National Passport Information Center for more information at (877) 487-2778 (TDD / TTY: (888) 874-7793). Note: This is a fee-for-service call, and is not funded by tax dollars.
City of Fontana Ordinance 1653 provides residents with the ability to hold yard and garage sales up to four times per year on the first full weekends (Friday through Sunday) in February, May, August and November.
Yard Sale Permits
Yard Sale Permits are no longer required as long as the yard sales and garage sales are on the specified dates:
- February 1, 2, and 3, 2019
- May 3, 4, and 5, 2019
- August 2, 3, and 4, 2019
- November 1, 2, and 3, 2019
Holding a yard sale on any day other than the above dates is an infraction and subject to graduated penalties with each successive violation as stipulated in the Fontana Municipal Code, Ordinance 1653.
Click to view the yard sale permits in Spanish.
Click to apply for Emergency Yard Sale Permit.
For additional information, contact the City of Fontana at (909) 350-7679
Important contact numbers and links
|Accounts Receivable / miscellaneous billing||(909) 350-7683|
|Animal licenses||(909) 350-6565|
|Business license information||(909) 350-7675|
|Franchise services||(909) 350-7600|
|Passport services||(909) 350-7635|
|Sewer billing||(909) 350-7670|
|Yard sales||(909) 350-7679|
If you have any questions, please call (909) 350-7679.