|The Traffic Unit's goals are to protect the safety of the motoring public, ensure the smooth flow of traffic in the City, and encourage the safe operation of vehicles within the City. The Traffic Unit accomplishes these goals through proactive enforcement, by responding to and investigating traffic collisions, and by developing solutions to various problem traffic areas within the City.|
|A variety of special programs have been implemented and are routinely conducted throughout the City. These programs further enhance the Traffic Unit's effectiveness.|
The programs include:
|The Major Accident Investigation Team (MAIT) consists of a team of experts with a background in mathematics and physics related to vehicle dynamics. Personnel assigned to this team investigate all fatal and near-fatal traffic collisions occurring within the City of Fontana.|
Additionally, the Traffic Unit plans and coordinates many major events in the City throughout the year. For more information, please contact the Traffic Unit at (909) 350-7770 or email.
- Abandoned Vehicles
- Impounded Vehicles
- Disabled Placard Citations
- Parking Citations
- Citations & Corrections
72 Hour Regulation
An abandoned vehicle is defined by the California Vehicle Code Section 22651(k) and Fontana Municipal Code 17-144(c) as any vehicle left parked or standing upon a highway for 72 or more consecutive hours. California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 22651(k) allows for citation and impound of any such abandoned vehicle(s).
Abandoned vehicles reported will generally be marked and left tagged for the required 72 hours prior to receiving a citation or removal.
How to Spot an Abandoned Vehicle
The following are some signs of an abandoned vehicle:
- Cobwebs extending to the roadway
- Dirt and debris gathered under the vehicle
- Obvious vandalism
How to Report a Vehicle
When calling in to report a vehicle, please have the following ready:
- Exact location of vehicle (address or nearest cross streets)
- License plate number (if available)
- Vehicle description (make, model, color)
You can report an abandoned vehicle by
- Fill out and submit our Online Form.
- Call Fontana Police Dispatch at (909) 350-7700.
Why a Vehicle is Impounded
California Vehicle Code Section 14602.6 states that an officer may impound a vehicle when the driver:
- Has a suspended or revoked driver’s license
- Or has never been issued a license
How Do I Get My Vehicle Back?
- Only the tow company can release your vehicle
- If you do not know what tow company has your vehicle, contact Records at (909) 356-7103
- Have your license plate number available when you call
- Contact the tow company directly to get your vehicle released
- Tow company information can be found under the Resources tab above
The Registered Owner Must:
- Present someone with a valid driver's license to drive the vehicle
- Provide proof of ownership of the vehicle (i.e., registration paperwork)
- Pay the impound fees required by the tow company
Persons who were valid placard-holders on the date of the alleged violation and who failed to properly display their placard are in violation of California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 40266. The City of Fontana will accept a $25 administrative fee for failure to properly display placard, in lieu of the original fine, pursuant to CVC section 40226.
To request the $25 administrative fee option, you must submit all of the following:
- Photocopy of your disabled persons identification card, showing you were a valid placard-holder on the date of the violation
- Photocopy of your placard
- Photocopy of the original citation
- Brief letter to the Citation Processing Center explaining the reason the placard was not properly displayed or the situation regarding the ticket
- $25 fine
Mail these items via certified or registered mail to the Citation Processing Center:
City of Fontana
Citation Processing Center
PO Box 2730
Huntington Beach, CA 92647-2730
For more information, please visit Ticket Wizard 5000 or call (800) 989-2058.
A parking citation is a civil violation. It is not a criminal offense. By State law, request for an appeal must be received by the due date or all rights to an appeal are lost, and in accordance with State law you may no longer contest the citation.
The owner is ultimately responsible for the actions of the vehicle and bears the burden of proof when contesting parking citations.
Methods to Pay Citation
Include your citation number and license plate number on your check or money order and mail to:
Refer to your parking citation or notice for the correct telephone number.
You may pay the penalty at the cashier's window at:
Appealing Parking Citations
If you wish to contest (appeal) the parking citation you must contact Data Ticket Company at (800) 989-2058 within 21 days from the date of the citation.
Note: Failure to pay the penalty indicated or formally contest the citation within 21 days of the date of issuance will result in further legal action, extra costs, and may delay the renewal of your vehicle registration.
Citation Payment Plans
If you cannot pay the fine amount required to appeal your citation, you can request a payment plan from Data Ticket Company at (800) 989-2058 or Citation Processing Center. For information about requesting a payment plan, contact Citation Processing Center.
Indigent Payment Plans
Beginning July 1, 2018, the City of Fontana offers Payment Plans to Indigent Registered Owner(s)/Lessee(s) with unpaid parking citations of amounts of $300.00 or less. For citations issued on or after July 1, 2018, Registered Owner(s)/Lessee(s) may request an Indigent Payment Plan:
- Within 60 calendar days of issuance of the citation, or,
- Within 10 days of Administrative Hearing determination, whichever is later.
An Indigent Payment Plan provides:
- The option to pay your parking citation in up to $25.00 monthly increments
- Shall be paid off within 18 months of the Payment Plan approval date
- Upon approval, a non-refundable Payment Plan fee of $5.00 will be assessed to the total Payment Plan amount and all late fees and penalties shall be waived. Waived late fees and penalties may be reinstated if the person falls out of compliance with the Payment Plan.
The Registered Owner/Lessee must demonstrate that he or she is indigent by providing either of the following information as applicable:
- Proof of income from most recent pay stub or another proof of earnings, such as a bank statement that show the individual meets the income criteria set forth in subdivision (b) of Section 68632 of the Government Code.
- Proof of receipt of benefits under the programs described in subdivision (a) of Section 68632 of the Government Code. Proof of receipt will consist of a copy of the most recent: Verification of Benefits Form or Award Letter for Social Security.
- If the Registered Owner(s)/Lessee(s) does not have income or receives public assistance, a copy of their annual earnings from the Social Security Department is required.
Note: Any documents submitted to Data Ticket Company will not be returned.
If you were issued a citation for one of the following California Vehicle Code (CVC) violations, you must provide valid proof of correction with your citation or notice:
- 4000A CVC: Unregistered or expired registration
- 5200 CVC - 5202 CVC: Missing or improperly displayed license plates
- 5204 CVC: Missing, expired, or improperly displayed registration tabs
How Do I Get My Ticket Signed Off?
Vehicle inspection for valid proof of correction may be obtained at any police department, DMV, or California Highway Patrol office.
Vehicle inspections for valid proof of correction at Fontana Police are available as follows:
Monday through Thursday
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Closed Friday and holidays
Fontana Police Department
17005 Upland Avenue
Fontana, CA 92335
Fees for Vehicle Inspection
- For City of Fontana residents, no charge
- For non-residents, $16
- Payment methods include cash, check, money order, Visa, Mastercard or Discover
- With the correction, the fine will be reduced
- Check your citation or notice for the reduced fine amount
- Mail in your valid proof of correction, citation or notice, and payment to location stated on the citation or notice
- Time Sensitive
- Must be mailed within 21 calendar days of the issue date of the citation
- Must be mailed within 14 days of the mailing date of the notice
List of Tow Companies Used By Fontana Police Department
|Armada Tow||8623 Carob St., Fontana, CA 92335||(909) 428-1115|
|Hadley Tow||15176 Whittram, Fontana, CA 92335||(909) 355-9282|
|Pepe's Tow||8828 Beech Ave.,Fontana, CA 92335||(909) 357-3452|
|South State Tow||14816 Valley Blvd.,Fontana, CA 92335||(909) 357-3666|
|United Towing||14949 Valley Blvd., Fontana, CA 92335||(909) 350-3211|
All monies due, including any City fees that apply, are paid to the tow company.
Local Truck Routes
View Local Truck Routes