What if It Happens to You
What to Do While Being Robbed
- Remain calm and try not to panic or show any signs of anger or confusion.
- If the attacker is only after your purse or other valuables, don't resist. You don't want to escalate a property crime into a violent confrontation.
- Make a conscious effort to get an accurate description of your attacker:
- Body build
- Type and color of clothing
- Call the police immediately, identifying yourself and your location. Contact your local victim assistance agency to help you deal with the trauma that all crime victims experience. They can also help you learn about victim compensation laws and how to follow your case's progress.
For more tips, please contact:
The National Crime Prevention Council
The Woodward Building
733 15th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20005