Take Action Today
Ways to Become Active
- Help reduce opportunities for street crime in your community.
- Make sure street lighting is adequate and parks, vacant lots, and alleys are free of debris and graffiti. Places that look as though no one cares attract crime.
- Get together with your neighbors and local law enforcement to start a mutual protection program like Neighborhood Watch or Apartment Watch.
- Try to make sure teens in your community have a place for their energies such as a cleaned up park, recreation areas, or community tasks.
- Volunteer to escort a friend or neighbor who goes to work or class at night.
- If you see a crime being committed, call the police immediately and stay with the victim until they come. Be supportive and offer to accompany the victim to the hospital or police station. How would you feel if you needed help and no one volunteered?
For more tips, please contact:
The National Crime Prevention Council
The Woodward Building
733 15th St. NW
Washington, D.C. 20005