Safety Training for Swim Coaches
This course helps to fulfill the Coaches Safety Education requirement for USA Swimming and Y USA with a two-year certification. Prerequisites: Must be at least 15 years of age by the end of the course and must be comfortable in chest-deep water.
The Safety Training for Swim Coaches course offers up-to-date content on safe sport policies, emergency planning and first aid including:
• Maintaining a comfortable and safe environment for swimmers
• Preventing accidents and emergencies
• Responding to ill or injured swimmers in water or on land
This course includes both an online portion and an in-water skills session.
Certification can be met through a two-step process as follows:
Step 1: Safety Training for Swim Coaches Online Content: (Three hours)
Individuals who are interested in taking Safety Training for Swim Coaches should complete the Safety Training for Swim Coaches - Online Content Only course. This course includes web-based delivery of content and an online exam.
Enroll in the STSC Online Content at www.redcross.org/takeaclass
(Note: The Red Cross enrollment fee is $19)
Step 2: In-Water Skills Verification: (Three hours)
National coaching governing bodies including USA Swimming and Y USA require swim coaches to demonstrate in-water skills. The following Red Cross courses meet the skills verification requirement for these organizations:
• Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (In-Water Skills Session not required)
• Shallow Water Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (In-Water Skills Session not required)
• Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (In-Water Skills Session not required)
• Safety Training for Swim Coaches/First Aid (50 Minute In-Water Skills Session required)
For information on how to enroll for the STSC In-Water Skills Session with the City of Fontana, please call the Fontana Park Aquatic Center at (909) 854-5111.
(Note: The City of Fontana enrollment fee is $20)
*Non-resident fee may apply. A $2 processing fee will be applied for any registration.