Codes & Local Amendments
The California Building Standards Code (CBSC) is maintained by the California Building Standards Commission (www.bsc.ca.gov) and contains the codes and laws that regulate the construction of all buildings and structures in the State of California. The CBSC is Title 24 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) and consists of twelve parts: Six (6) parts are authored by the State of California and six (6) parts are based on model codes that are authored by various model code writing bodies.
The new 2013 California Building Standards Code includes:
- Part 2, 2013 California Building Code (CBC), which is based on the 2012 International Building Code (IBC) published by the International Code Council (ICC).
- Part 2.5, 2013 California Residential Code (CRC), which is based on the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC) published by the International Code council (ICC). This is a completely new part of T-24.
- Part 3, 2013 California Electrical Code (CEC), which is based on the 2011 National Electrical Code (NEC) published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
- Part 4, 2013 California Mechanical Code (CMC), which is based on the 2012 Uniform Mechanical Code (UMC) published by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO).
- Part 5, 2013 California Plumbing Code (CPC), which is based on the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) published by the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO).
- Part 6, 2013 California Energy Code.
- Part 9, 2013 California Fire Code (CFC), which is based on the 2012 published by the International Code Council (ICC).
- Part 11, 2013 California Green Building Standards Code
For more information on the adopted codes, please contact the Building & Safety Division at (909) 350-7640.