Packing a Healthy Lunch
Top Five Healthy Lunch Box Tips
|An Important Meal
Lunch is an important part of the day. It is a time for you to recharge
your system and relax your brain. It is vital for you to get a
well-balanced meal that will keep you energized for the rest of the
day. A great way to save some money and maintain your figure is to pack
your lunch for work instead of eating out.
Contents of a Healthy Lunch
A healthy lunch should include:
- Fruit or vegetable
- Lean protein (chicken, turkey, tuna, hummus)
- Starch (bread, pasta, rice or potatoes) - preferably something high in fiber such as whole grains that will keep you full longer
- Base the main part of the lunch on starchy foods like bread, cereal, rice, pasta, or potatoes.
- Get creative with some alternatives to sandwiches (e.g., whole-grain pita pockets, tortilla wraps, or pasta salad).
- Include some protein, such as lean meat, chicken, tuna, ham, cheese, egg, or hummus.
- Pop a cool pack or a frozen drink in the lunch box to keep it cool.
- Try a variety of different drinks like fruit juice, water, yogurt, or milk.
Additional Helpful Tips
Here are some more helpful tips for packing a healthy lunch:
the goods. Make sure you’re including healthy foods like vegetables,
whole grains, and low-fat dairy products. Try things like carrots and
low-fat dip, whole grain crackers and low-fat yogurt, or baked pita
chips and hummus.
- Mix it up. Changing what’s inside your lunch each day will prevent you from getting bored and switching back to fast food.
the soda. Add 100% fruit juice instead. Unlike soda, which is high in
sugar, 100% fruit juice doesn’t have any added sugar. One serving of
this juice often counts for one serving of fruit for the day. You could
also add skim or 1% milk or even just a bottle of water.
‘em. There are many healthy alternatives to your favorite foods.
Instead of potato chips, which are high in fat and sodium, try baked
chips or unbuttered popcorn. Instead of candy, try granola bars or
For More Information